The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors while respecting individual choice about smoking. Consistent with these concerns and with North Carolina law, the following Policy establishes restrictions on smoking on University Property and provides procedures for accommodating the preferences of both smokers and nonsmokers.
For the purposes of this University Policy:
- "Smoking" is defined as the use or possession of a lighted cigarette, lighted cigar, lighted pipe, or any other lighted tobacco product, or the use of an electronic inhaler that employs a mechanical heating element, battery, or electronic circuit to heat a liquid nicotine solution contained in a vapor cartridge, such as an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, or electronic pipe.
- A "Building" is defined as any permanent or temporary structure utilized for the support, shelter or enclosure of people, animals, or property. "Buildings" include, but are not limited to: residence halls, classroom and office buildings, workshops, gymnasiums, shuttle stops, athletic fields, parking decks, stairwells, inside and outside dining areas, vending areas, breezeways, and connectors.
- A "University Building" is defined as any Building owned, leased as lessor, or the area leased as lessee and occupied by UNC Charlotte.
- "University Property" means University Buildings and grounds owned, leased, operated, controlled, or supervised by UNC Charlotte.
- A "University Vehicle" is defined as a vehicle owned or leased by UNC Charlotte.
- A "Designated Smoking Area" is defined as an exterior area on the UNC Charlotte campus designated by the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee as a place for smoking. Designated Smoking Areas will be marked by proper signage, and are subject to the provisions in Section III of this Policy.
The following restrictions apply to smoking on University Property:
- Smoking is prohibited within all University Buildings.
- Smoking is prohibited within 100 linear feet of any University Building unless otherwise allowed under subsection III. D.
- Smoking in University Vehicles is prohibited.
- Smoking is permitted on University Property in Designated Smoking Areas.
Additional smoking restrictions required for safety reasons may be imposed by the University on a case-by-case basis. Areas with such restrictions will be identified by signage.
Cooperation and consideration between smokers and nonsmokers is necessary to ensure the successful implementation of this Policy. Effective implementation of this Policy depends upon the courtesy, respect, and cooperation of all members of the University community.