In order to maintain a harmonious relationship between The University of North Carolina at Charlotte and its students, it is the policy of the University to provide for the settlement of problems and differences through orderly grievance procedures. Every student shall have the right to present his or her problem, in accordance with the procedures established, in order to seek redress free from interference, coercion, restraint, discrimination, or reprisal.
Because the appropriate course of action is not always clear to students seeking redress of a grievance, the Office of the Dean of Students
shall serve as a resource center for those seeking information regarding grievance and appeal procedures.
The following procedures have been established to address areas of concern to students:
- Discriminatory personal conduct--violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Title IX of the Education Amendments
- University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure--applies to alleged discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity and expression), age, national origin, or disability as well as problems arising in the relationship between a student and the University that are not governed by other specific grievance procedures
- University Policy 406, Code of Student Responsibility, Chapter 8, Sexual Misconduct Complaint Procedures (Replacing Sexual Harrassment Policies and Grievance Procedures as they relate to student-on-student sexual harassment)
- Student conduct procedures under The Code of Student Responsibility and the Code of Student Academic Integrity
- Appeals from denials of admission or readmission to the University under Admission Appeals Process
- Review of decisions concerning residence status, deposits, tuition, and fees
- University Policy 410, Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades
- Undergraduate student academic appeal and grievance procedures
- Graduate student academic and termination appeals
- Serious grievances related to the student's education records
- Grievances related to delivery of special services to students with disabilities
- Review of traffic and parking violation notices