Section 1: University of North Carolina Policy
The Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina has enacted a policy and the President of the University has issued administrative regulations governing the waiver of tuition and fees for certain faculty and staff members within the University of North Carolina. The policy and regulations permit a constituent institution to waive tuition and fees for such faculty and staff members for up to two courses per academic year, at the discretion of the constituent institution.
Section 2: UNC Charlotte Policy
The following Board of Trustees policy incorporates the definitions and limitations in the policy and regulations referenced in Section 1 above: Eligible faculty and staff members employed by The University of North Carolina at Charlotte shall have tuition and fees waived for up to two UNC Charlotte for-credit academic courses for any one-year period measured from the first day of classes for the fall semester. The two courses permitted each academic year may be taken during one semester or in different semesters. For any such course to be approved:
- the applicant must meet Board of Governors employment and eligibility requirements which currently stipulates participation is limited to employees who are in permanent positions and regularly scheduled to work 30 hours or more each week, 9 months of the year or longer,
- the applicant must be academically eligible to enroll in the pertinent course and there must be space available in the course,
- the employee’s department chair or department head must certify that such enrollment will not interfere with satisfactory performance of normal employment obligations, and
- the employee must continue his or her permanent employment status for the entire semester during which the course is taken, and is required to complete the full schedule of normal work obligations. Upon termination or other changes in employment status, which would make the employee ineligible under this policy or the Board of Governor’s Policy or Regulations, the employee will be billed for the tuition and fees for the entire semester unless he or she has officially withdrawn from the class within the time frame designated by the University.
While summer school courses for academic credit are eligible for tuition waiver, no other for-credit or not-for-credit courses that are receipt-supported are eligible for such waiver without the advance written approval of the Provost.
UNC Charlotte faculty and staff members seeking to enroll in courses at campuses other than UNC Charlotte are advised that certain UNC system campuses may not waive tuition and fees for summer session courses. Faculty and staff members’ eligibility for tuition privileges are subject to the rules of the individual institutions.
Section 3: Implementation
The Chancellor is authorized to issue regulations
to implement this Policy.
IMPLEMENTING BOARD OF TRUSTEES POLICY #101.1, TUITION PRIVILEGES FOR CERTAIN FACULTY AND STAFF
Initially approved by the Chancellor May 20, 2002
Each applicant for tuition privileges must complete and submit through regular administrative channels an "Application for Faculty/Staff Tuition Waiver
" supplied by the Human Resources Department. A UNC Charlotte faculty or staff member desiring to take courses on the UNC Charlotte campus must have the form signed by his or her immediate supervisor, the Human Resources Department, and the Student Accounts Office.
- The signature of the applicant’s supervisor certifies that such enrollment will not interfere or conflict with satisfactory performance of normal employment obligations.
- The Human Resources Department must sign the waiver application, to verify the employment and eligibility status of the employee.
- The University Registrar shall certify that any applicant for tuition waiver is academically eligible to enroll in the pertinent course and that there is space available in that course.
- The Student Accounts Office will be responsible for maintaining records of approved tuition waivers.
- Faculty and staff members from any other constituent institution of the University of North Carolina System desiring to enroll in courses on the UNC Charlotte campus should contact the UNC Charlotte Office of the University Registrar and the appropriate UNC Charlotte admissions office, undergraduate or graduate, and complete the Application for Faculty/Staff Tuition Waiver as outlined.