This policy establishes manageable limits on the size and complexity of outdoor events on campus, in an effort to afford the campus community the opportunity to experience safe and enjoyable outdoor activities.
To avoid problems with large scale outdoor, on-campus activities, this Policy provides regulations to limit the size and scope of those activities that are deemed manageable for areas in which access cannot be controlled.
In an effort to afford the campus community the opportunity to experience safe and enjoyable outdoor activities on the UNC Charlotte campus, it is necessary to establish manageable limits for the size and complexity of such activities. The following parameters are designed with that purpose in mind.
- All outdoor on-campus activities must be scheduled and coordinated through the Conference, Reservations and Event Services Office as set forth in University Policy 601.6. In all instances, except intercollegiate athletic contests, the staff of the Division of Student Affairs, following discussions with students and with staff from other applicable campus offices such as University Police and Public Safety, Athletics, and Conference, Reservations and Event Services, along with other constituents and services providers, will evaluate both the nature of and the expected attendance of the proposed activities. Following such evaluations, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs shall have authority to grant or deny permission for the activity to be held on campus. Any exceptions to this Policy must be approved by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Activities that include all of the following conditions may be held on campus:
- Attendance at activity is expected to be fewer than 500 participants and spectators;
- Activity will not be advertised off campus for general community participation; and
- Alcohol will not be allowed at the activity.
- Activities that include one or more of the following conditions and are deemed manageable by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, or designee, may be held only in an approved location in which access can be controlled:
- Attendance at activity is expected to be greater than 500 participants and spectators;
- Activity will be advertised off campus for general community participation; or
- Alcohol will be served, and/or a BYOB permit has been secured for the activity.
- Any activity that is deemed to pose serious security management concerns may not be held on campus.
- Official University outdoor sporting events sponsored by the Athletics and Recreational Services Departments, which are deemed to be manageable, may be held on campus in approved locations.
- All approved outdoor activities must end by 12 midnight, unless an exception is granted by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- All approved outdoor on-campus activities are also required to comply with additional requirements set forth in the University Reservations and Event Services' Outdoor Activity Reservation Requirements policy. In all instances in which approval is granted, all other applicable campus and/or departmental policies must be followed, including policies governing alcohol use, parking, food service, noise, late night activities, and facilities use policies.
Questions regarding this policy should be referred to the Director of Conference, Reservations and Event Services.
- Initially approved January 19, 1987
- Revised March 23, 1998
- Revised August 14, 2008
Responsible Office: Business Affairs