1. Approval & Report
Complete and return the Field Trip Report Form to the Office of Risk Management:
Before field trip, complete and return first part of Field Trip Report Form to Risk Management & Insurance
- Provide basic information about planned trip: sponsoring department, dates, times, place(s), purpose, attendance, roster, etc.
- If you determine that it is important to obtain supplemental accident insurance for the students participating in the field trip (either paid for by your department or by the participants), contact the Risk Management & Insurance Office (704‑687‑5711) to make such arrangements.
- Fund number for insurance premium
2. Acknowledgement of Risk and Consent for Treatment
The Field Trip Acknowledgement of Risk and Consent for Treatment Form is intended as both a planning tool for faculty/staff and as a tool to inform field trip participants about the potential risks and the participants' responsibilities during the trip.Reasonable care should be taken in planning any field trip, and the risks or precautions particular to each field trip should be evaluated in advance. Each participant or parent/guardian of a minor participant should be fully informed of the potential risks involved.
The following are suggested steps to take in planning a field trip:
- Review the field trip plans with the Risk Management & Insurance Office (704‑687‑5711) to determine if there will be any particular risks or precautions and if so, how to minimize those risks.
- Discuss the potential risks and precautions with students in advance of the trip.
- Modify the Acknowledgment of Risk and Consent for Treatment Form to suit the field trip, being as specific as possible about unique or particular risks involved. (download Word version for editing)
- Add vaccination requirements to the Acknowledgment of Risk and Consent for Treatment Form if necessary (e.g., rabies shots).
- If the field trip is for credit or is a required element of the course, offer alternative projects or activities to those students who are unable to participate in the field trip because they (or the parents/guardians of minor students) choose not to sign the Acknowledgment of Risk and Consent for Treatment Form.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about the safety or legal aspects planning a field trip, please contact the Risk Management & Insurance Office (704‑687‑5711) or the Office of Legal Affairs (704‑687‑5732).
NOTE: The Field Trip Acknowledgement of Risk and Consent for Treatment Form is intended to be used for domestic field trips only. If the planned excursion involves international travel, please contact the Office of Education Abroad (704‑687‑7747).